Thursday 15 October 2015

Art Spoons

Morning everyone, the current challenge is about 3D creations and when looking around for ideas for this Inspiration post I found 3 spoons that I had picked up in a charity shop for 30p each. There about 13cm long, just a bit bigger than a teaspoon. These are some of my ideas for art spoons.


These are made of EPNS (electro plated Nickel silver). Most of the silver has worn off but I thought they had a pretty shape with potential.


There are lots of ideas on pinterest where spoons, forks and other cutlery have been turned into jewellery, assemblage and other amazing items. I decided to create 3 different items and managed to use stamps on all three!


The spoons bent quite easily (that or Uri Geller had been handling them). One I wanted to create a pendant from and thought either side could be used. More about the pendant later.


The most tarnished I chose to use for a nest and sprayed with Lindy's Stamp gang mica sprays in blue and green.


The eggs were made form paper clay and rolled on a stamp with black archival ink on to give a speckled appearance.



I've seen altered spoons turned into nests for Easter which is where my inspiration came from but it's Autumn now and the nest has been abandoned, the eggs never hatched and lots of seed heads and dried grasses have fallen onto the mossy bed.



Second is the pendant. I incorporated some stamping on tissue and then started playing with UTEE. I think ice resin would have worked beautifully but as I was short on time I used UTEE.


I sprayed some of the seed heads I had gathered for the nest with the same LSG sprays and added beads and mica. I think this could be developed further but was just experimenting and wanted to show you the possibilities.


For the third spoon I added a Lynne Perella face. This was stamped onto tissue and sealed with matte medium onto the spoon.


Once dry I used twinkling H2O's to paint in the detail and added a little charm and some silver wire.

Hope you're inspired to look at everyday objects in a different way...they all have potential for altering into a unique piece of ART!

There's still plenty of time to join in with our current 3D challenge and just a reminder that this month there's a blog hop with a prize as well. See here for details. 

12 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous Ruth, love them all but the little nest is super cute ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nest is my favourite too - but Oh my! What a fabulous trio! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and stunning results. The abandoned nest is sad and beautiful - so clever how you got your speckled eggs - and I love the tissue stamping on both the others. Wonderful inspiration, Ruth, thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful trio Ruth...all different ideas and cant agree more with Toni...loved the nest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning work. I have got a spoon almost identical to this somewhere! I love the idea of stamping on tissue and then applying to the concave surface. The UTEE has worked out amazingly, too. Very imaginative use of materials and a quite beautiful result in each case.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful transformations Ruth, your altered spoons are beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, stunning project. I couldn't figure out how you stamped into the spoon, but genius idea to stamp onto tissue first and glue it. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab inspiration here Ruth, never thought of using spoons before!
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really beautiful Ruth and the little nest, abandoned by it's occupants is gorgeous. I love all your techniques and would never have thought of making a spoon into a piece of art. Wonderful tutorial! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow what fabulous ideas, they are all gorgeous! Thanks so much for the inspiration
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fabulous Ruth....wonderful details and what beautiful gifts they would make.

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply great, and I could assume you are an expert on this subject. Same as your blog i found another one Sohman Epoxy .Actually I was looking for the same information on internet for
    LY 556
    and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete